Wednesday 29 September 2010

I miss radio

Geraldine by Glasvegas just threw itself onto my spotify player.  This made me remember pressing that "cart 1" button on the myriad playout system at Uni.  It always made a very satisfying click, like those really old keyboards you used to use during computer time in first school to learn verbs.  I find it a shame that UtopiaFM doesn't exist anymore.  They re-branded the station and it became really...really shit.  When I presented on Utopia we had a fantastic station manager who will presumably one day be running the BBC who encouraged original ideas and content.  In my final year at uni it seemed the station lost its charm and tried to present itself as a genuine competitor to commercial radio.  Its presented by students, so its a student radio station.  Make that something to be proud of not something to ignore.


Not meaning to deviate from the normal semi surreal posts, I'll comment on my temporary reprieve from unemployment.  I got called into a businessman's office today to discuss my input regarding their next conference.  I looked at the man, trying to hide any sense of "I'm really really immature, your company should not be trusting me to film anything and that fez you have on your desk looks ridiculously comfortable".  I asked the purpose of the conference and he said it was an overview of the year, highlighting their profit making techniques.  I suggested we make a funny video and the man seemed to like this idea so I proceeded to explain some scenarios which I thought would be funny.  I liked this man, he seemed like he was a normal human being and not the typical empty shell of a businessman.  As I was explaining my ideas, another business man entered the room.  This man had a briefcase in his hand so I could tell he was important.  Either that or he doesn't trust his co workers not to eat the turkey pesto sandwich his wife made him the night before so he carries it where ever his adventures take him.  The man started talking to the other important man about business.  I understood the individual words they were saying but when I tried to piece them together as a sentence I got so bored I slipped into a temporary coma, only to be awoken by the second man's coffee breath.   When I awoke, coffee breath man was leaving and the first man had made some notes about the film.  He told me to find the best deal for the camera rig I want to use and get back to him with some ideas.

Unfortunately 1 week of filming doesn't exempt me from unemployed status so I continue to hunt for work!

No comments:

Post a Comment